Additional Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Chai Latte



I have always loved a chai latte. For the past several years I have started my day with a cup. Just so smooth and relaxing. Usually I just pick up a pre-made carton of the Oregon Chai or Tazo Chai, and mix it with vanilla soy milk. YUMMMM, although they both have different flavors they are both good.



I started thinking, that is a lot of $$ spent on chai and I bet, online, I can find a recipe that would cost me a lot less to make myself. So voila....here is the recipe. Me and my boys love it. This is is my adaptation of the original recipe I pulled off the Internet.



4-slices of fresh ginger, I cut them as thin as I can
1-cinnamon stick
4-whole cloves
1-tsp powdered cardamom
1/2-tsp vanilla extract
1-dash nutmeg
1-tbsp sugar
1/4 -C honey ( I usually triple the recipe and then use 1/2 C honey, I have found that what the recipe calls for is just too much for me. So for this recipe I would probably use less than 1/4 cup, maybe 1/8 cup honey or a tab bit more.)
3-Bigelow Darjeeling Blend tea bags
2 cups water
Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes then strain and combine with 2 cups of milk or silk. You can store this in the fridge easily and make a larger batch.

I use organic ingredients and picked up the bigelow tea because I had never made it before and didn't want to change the recipe until I had tried it. I think from now on I will pick up a nice organic black tea, and I probably already have some in my tea basket now.

Enjoy the recipe.

No comments: