Additional Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bagels

OK we are home from vacation. The boys LOVE bagels, I mean they could eat bagels every morning. I had been buying organic bagels but with gas prices rising every day we are not going to the health food store to shop anymore. Our local Ingels has so much organic food now that we can get almost everything we need with just a 15 minute drive from our house. Which I like. But no organic bagels. Have tried the regular deli bagels at the Ingels but they are just not that good, and we have been buying lenders bagels from the Ingels but I much prefer using organic, especially since it is something the boys eat almost daily.

So I decided to try making my own. This is a big step. It is hard unschooling and having my own things that I enjoy. I am always balancing organic, homemade, simple, easy, cheap, etc etc. I am sure many of you know what I mean. I am always thinking is it worth it to take the time to make myself? Is it something we use a lot of? Is expensive to buy outright? etc etc. Time is also valuable to me. But in this case I took it all into consideration and decided that since they eat so many bagels it would be worth it to try making my own. Thought it would be hard but it really isn't and the boys have decided these are the best bagels they have every had.

Here is my recipe, actually I took an existing recipe and tweaked it to suit us.

1 2/3 cup hot water
mix into the water:
3 tsp yeast
3 tbsp (about) honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp (about) olive oil

let that sit just a minute then add (I use my kitchen aid stand mixer with the dough hook on it) 1- 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 3 cups unbleached white flour.

Beat that (again I use the stand mixer) for 10 minutes then let it rise until doubled. Beat it down and let it stand for 15 minutes. Divide dough into 12 balls and stick your thumbs into the center of each ball and form into a bagel shape.


Heat a pan of water (1-2 inches of water) with 1 tbsp sugar and 2 tsp salt added, until it is boiling. Set the bagels into the boiling water and cook on one side for 3 minutes, then flip for 2 minutes and flip again for one more minute. Take them out of the water and blot them on a towel to get the excess water off. Place them on a greased cookie sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes until brown on top.


They were so good. I think I will be making these on a regular basis now. Here is a picture of today's batch (my first one) cooling. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

You're the second person to make bagels recently, something I've been saying I was going to tackle for months now. The universe is giving me a nudge, I think.

I know what you mean about the organic vs. driving—how organic are things really with the gasoline factor? Similar problems with the eat local challenge—24 miles doesn't sound like much until you round-trip it to 50 mile milk, yanno? No easy answers, that's for sure, except maybe learning to do more for ourselves.

Thanks for the recipe!

Ren said...

I agree with the learning to do more for ourselves!! Working towards more of that over here.

I LOVE the pics of your bagels. I can almost smell them. Awesome.

My Mom did bagels with us once but the bread I really want to try again is crumpets! She opened a tuna fish can on both sides to make a mold for them. They were so yummy.

dharmamama said...

I made bagels *one time*, and they came out not-so-good. I'll need to try your recipe! We've also made pretzels, which was a similar process, but with baking soda in the water. Much fun.