Additional Pages

Friday, November 2, 2007

Organics

I was writing a response to a comment on my "bagels" post but it was getting wayyyy too long so I turned it into a post itself. I was commenting that I am so hesitant now with the use, by companies, of the word "organic". Since the government made it's changes to what the word "organic" means and what can be done to food and still use the term "organic", I have seen so many companies coming out with their own "organic" line of products.

Are they "really" organic or do their foods just meet the guidelines now that the threshold has been lowered. It is REALLY confusing for the consumer and I have chosen not go by the little "certified organic" label anymore. I am trying to cook more for myself and buying my bulk items, and non bulk items, from companies I have known and used for years (before the changes). Not sure if those companies have changed their practices as well, I guess that is a possibility. But really, who has the time to research each and every company that they buy products from? And I know that I don't have the time or skill to make everything myself. It is frustrating.


We do the best we can, we think we are giving our families healthful foods, but are we? Can we ever be sure? I guess I have to do what I can and let go of the rest.

No comments: