Additional Pages

Friday, November 23, 2007

Sweet Potato Bread

OK I have made sweet potato bread before but this is a savory bread instead of the one I usually make, a sweet quick bread. And it is delicious. The recipe came from Christy's Farm Dreams blog and I altered it a bit. Here is the recipe:






water - 1 cup
Unbleached white flour - 2 3/4 cup
Instant Yeast - 1 tsp
mashed sweet potatoes - 3/4 cup
softened butter - 1 tablespoons
Unbleached white flour - 1/2 cup
salt 1/2 TBS


I altered it by using about 1 1/4 cup hot water, and about 3 1/2 cups total flour with about 1 1/2 cups being whole wheat. I also used 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast, 1 cup mashed, cooked sweet potato, about 3 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp olive oil, and 1 tsp salt. Cook for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Actually I guess I altered the recipe quite a bit but it has the same feel to it, LOL. And it was delicious, a nice bread that has a bit more substance than just plain bread. We all loved it here.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I'm glad you liked it. I made that bread yesterday. I think I'll try it with honey and I usually use 1 cup whole wheat flour, was that in the recipe I posted? I'll have to check.