Additional Pages

Monday, November 12, 2007

Sweet Potatoes

Yesterday was sweet potato day, LOL. We still have sweet potatoes from our garden, actually we are storing them in the garden. We don't get much of a freeze here in NC and we don't have a root cellar so we figured leaving them in the ground would be the best way of keeping them as long as possible, and it has worked. So yesterday I baked a double batch of bagels, enough to last us the week, and then Jackson and I went down to the garden to dig up sweet potatoes.

We dug up just two plants, enough for what I needed. I also used tomatoes I had from my garden and parsley still growing strong, LOL. I did an online search for sweet potato bread (knew there had to be a recipe out there) and some kind of main dish using sweet potatoes. This is what I came up with, and both recipes were delicious:









Sweet Potato Bread
1/2 C sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C oil (I used melted earth balance)
1 C mashed sweet potatoes
1/2 C chopped nuts (optional)
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 2/3 C flour (I used about 1 3/4 C but I also had large eggs)
1/2 C water
2 eggs
1/2 tsp nutmeg
cook in loaf pan at 325 degrees for 75 minutes.

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
1 pound ground beef (I used crumbles as we are vegetarian)
1 large onion
vegetables or your choice (I used a bag of frozen mixed veggies)
1 can chopped tomatoes with juice
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I left this out)1 tsp brown mustard
1 cup fresh chopped parsley
S&P to taste
6 sweet potatoes mashed with butter and milk for the top (I used vegetable broth and earth balance to mash)

Cook up the onion and ground beef and place that in the bottom of an over proof casserole dish. Cook up the vegetables, add tomatoes, S&P, w. sauce, mustard, parsley, add this on top of the ground beef. Spread the mashed sweet potatoes on the top and cook at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until hot through.

2 comments:

dharmamama said...

Can I come live at your house? With my dog, 3 cats, and 2 boys? lol Yummy.

Christy said...

I have a recipe for a sweet potato yeast bread on my blog. It is really good and similar to potato bread which is big in this area. It is a savory as opposed to sweet bread. It makes a great sandwich bread!