Additional Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Spinning Wheel

I have blogged about wanting a spinning wheel and also about dh getting me one for Christmas. Well here it is, isn't she beautiful. I loved the raw wood. Jackson and I have this discussion all the time. We are always working on home improvements and I like the look, feel, smell of raw wood. He prefers the glossy look of coated wood. I wanted the wheel to remain raw, but as the brochure and Jackson both pointed out, if I wanted it to last, not warp or check, it should really be coated with something. After reading and researching we decided to use a danish oil. It will seep into the wood and seal it from the inside, the outside remains looking raw. Of course the smell of raw wood is not there, but it has the feel and look of raw wood, while sealing it so it will last. Great solution in the end.

I have done some spinning with some wool roving I purchased. Still working out the kinks (no pun intended). My spinning is getting smoother but still has fat and skinny spots. And places where I lose concentration and over twist it, LOL. But it is lots of fun and I am so enjoying the whole process. I do have some more wool to practice. And I bought some alpaca fiber. I am hoping to use that when I have a little more experience under my belt. That is my destination, alpaca yarn, it is so luxurious. Will let you know how that goes.
Our dog, Sugar, was snoozing by the wheel so I added her to my photo. Gotta love dogs.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I got a drop spindle for Christmas. I haven't tried it yet. What type of wheel did you get? I may have one of those in my future.

Pam Genant said...

It is a Baynes Spinning Wheel. Not a really expensive type, but enough for me now and I believe will be enough for me to grow into.
Pam