Additional Pages

Monday, January 28, 2008

Salad Dressing

No not the kind you actually put on a salad, LOL, Miracle Whip. Yes that wonderfully sweet addition to any sandwich. Me and my youngest son love it on a sandwich. Have you read the ingredients. Well I decided to try to find a recipe that I could use in place of that lovely spread. Something similar in taste and texture...well you get the picture. I found this recipe:

2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon powdered sugar

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 1/2 cups oil
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1/2 cup water

2 tablespoons vinegar

salt

Using a blender or electric mixer, blend egg yolks, salt, sugar and 1 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Slowly pour in 1 cup oil, a few drops at a time, mixing thoroughly. Add remaining 1/2 cup oil a little faster, carefully blending in each bit before adding the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Mix the flour, mustard, boiling water and vinegar together until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and cook until smooth and paste-like (but not too thick). Slowly add this hot mixture to the mayonnaise and blend well. Pour in a container and cool in the refrigerator.

I actually followed a couple of suggestions from the site and added a bit more powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp paprika and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. I followed the directions exactly, not taking any of my usual short cuts. It came out perfect. My son and I both agree that this is a much healthier substitute for sure.

No comments: