Additional Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Garden Comes Alive

I love spring. We have been working in the garden this weekend. I so love the feel of the earth under my feet. I always garden barefoot, and squish the dirt between my toes. It is so soft, and cool this time of year, almost like a foot massage. Gotta love that. We have nice compost from the chickens, and we are doing raised beds this year. Just getting started with that, so we will see how different that is from more traditional rows. Growing up we always just had rows so I am a novice with the raised beds. I will say they really look pretty.
:-)

We now have herbs, peas, greens, radishes, beets, onions, and potatoes planted. In the next few weeks we will find a place for everything else, but I really wanted to get a start with these. Our Sunchokes came in the mail this past week, so I do need to find a home for those as well as the shampoo ginger that Dallen ordered and wants to plant.

Phillip is really excited about the possibility of getting alpacas so he is helping out more with the chickens and rabbits. We also really need to finish the roof on the garage, get our rain barrels in order, and paint the outside trim on the house before we will have the time to dedicate to building a fence for the alpacas. We will have to see how it goes, how much time it takes to get the other things done etc. But it is still in our plan.

1 comment:

M. C. Pearson said...

Hi Pam!

I saw your email about the Medieval Mini Fest on the BurkePlus-NCHS yahoo group and had to stop by your blog to say hi. Great pics. It's still to cold for me to get out there and start gardening. I'm impressed!

Anyway, nice to see your blog. Hope to meet you sometime at one of the homeschool things. ;-D