Additional Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2008

One Local Summer

This year I decided to join "One Local Summer", where the object is to make one meal a week with all local ingredients. We do this as much as possible anyway so I decided to take up the challenge. Of course we have been on vacation for the past two weeks, part of the time out of the country, so what I ate was dictated by where we were, and I did no cooking at all. So this will be my first submission this year, for One Local Summer.


We arrived home at around 4:00 yesterday from vacation. Got to work weeding in the garden and decided, as I looked around at everything that was growing, to grab supper from the garden. We had a salad of mixed salad greens, including my favorite this year...Drunken Woman Lettuce, as well as onions, tomatoes out of the garden and eggs from our chickens. With that we steamed up some beets. Here is what it looked like all finished, the only thing not from our own home was the salad dressing.



3 comments:

Nancy M. said...

Looks Yummy!

Madeline said...

We are going to eat something similar tonight. "Drunken Lettuce"? Love that name. You've got me curious about your trip. Where were you and what local-to-there food did you eat?

Pam Genant said...

We traveled to BC, like wayyy up North. It was a very interesting trip. The friends we visited are TRULY homesteading. The father built their home and while it is still a work in progress, it is getting there. They have solar power for what power they do have. A creek for water, composting every manure (yes even human-ure). Really starting with just a piece of land. They have since sold their goats, but did have goats for milk and cheeses, grow their own veggies, which they are experimenting with now. The climate is so different from here in the South. And have chickens for eggs. Right now they do go to "town" for some foods, but they are working to be totally self sufficient, with so many plans. The lake has lots of Rainbow Trout, which neither my oldes nor myself ate (we are both vegetarians and growing up with seafood and fish, I have no interest). Anyway a great vacation and a real learning experience. I can live without any electronics but must say I do like my running water!!