Additional Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Harvest of Fall

It has been a cloudy, overcast weekend here. But in the break between showers Jackson and I started to harvest the remaining veggies from the garden. I hope to till the soil and seed some greens before we go on vacation next Friday. But before that happens I have some lovely vegetables to process. I think I am going to make a delicious pasta sauce out of the eggplant. Chop and freeze the peppers. Oh and we will just eat the watermelon. We have been having one a day, and they are just so sweet and nice.

We do still have onions and potatoes to retrieve from the garden but those can wait another day. Ahhhh, it is so nice to have such wonderful produce, fresh from home.
The gas shortage has been hitting us hard here in North Carolina. It should be easing up shortly, but in the mean time Jackson and I were talking a bit about not having gas. He could always bike to work in reality. The road is curvy and hilly and there is no side walk or even shoulder for most of the way, so it is more dangerous that we are willing to risk at the moment. But he could bike to work if need be. We are talking strictly about the gas shortage now and nothing else, none of the repercussions from that shortage if it were a permanent thing. My addition was that right now I am not concerned at all with groceries. I have so much already stored away, and with out chickens we could last quite a few months on what we have. It does make you stop and think about what you have, and what you need, what you could do without. Of course there was more to our conversation but it did make us grateful for what we do have in our lives.

No comments: