Additional Pages

Monday, November 17, 2008

Apple Sauce Cake

I made some apple sauce a couple of weeks ago, so this morning I decided to make some applesauce cake. The flour is local, applesauce and fig preserves are ones I made. Older, depression era recipe:
1 cup applesauce (this time I used 3/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup fig puree)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening, I found a nice organic vegetable shortening 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour

325 degrees for 45 minutes, use a greased and floured 10 inch baking pan.

You can ice this cake but my family does not really like icing so we just eat it plain like a coffee cake.

1 comment:

MangoChild said...

I just copied this recipe to my "to taste" file, it sounds delicious. I'm not an icing fan either.