Additional Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Gardening

I really need to get serious about my seeds. I keep saying that I need to order seeds but have so far not even made a list of what we want in our garden this year. I am far behind what I had accomplished by this time last year. So now I am going to move forward and at least get a list going:

*Beets
*Radishes
*Okra
*Green Beans
*Tomatoes
*Egg Plant
*Peppers
*Mustard Greens
*Collard Greens
*Kale
*Lettuce
*Potatoes
*Onions
*Sweet Potatoes
*Honey Dew Melons
*Watermelons
*Great Northern Beans
*Black Eyed Peas
*Kidney Beans
*Popcorn
*Sweet Corn
*Cucumber
*Zucchini

OK so that is what comes to mind right this minute. We also need a few more grape vines. I am going to plant grape vines around my garden to attempt to keep the deer out. And I may also plant some turnips as well, we will see.

That is the list, next thing to do is check out my seeds and see what I have and what I need to order. I will get starter potatoes and onions here locally. As well as probably cucumber plants. Although last year the cucumber plants were not even really old enough to be sold, they only had two leaves on each plant and those were the first leaves. Whoever started those should have started their seeds earlier, but by that time we had not started any of our own. So needless to say we didn't really have any cucumbers and had to replant a couple of times. I am not going to be able to start my own seeds this year. And to tell you the truth each time I have tried, I have not been really successful.

We will see, hopefully tomorrow I can have a list of what I need to purchase.

2 comments:

LeatherneckJoe said...

I would respectfully submit Garden Harvest Supply as a great place to order your certified garden seeds. They also offer over 200 varieties of potted vegetable plants. http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/home/

MangoChild said...

Your garden plans are wonderful, so much variety. Last year I had to "adopt" many plants as I was moving house when they should have been set for seeding and tended.... the fall ones I started from seed were, lets say, not a rousing success. It's okay, things work out. I'm right there with you, hoping that the ones I start from seed will work this year.