Additional Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kombucha

A friend has started making her own kombucha, as hers progressed she had an extra SCOBY to share, so since then I have been making my own kombucha. It has only been a couple of weeks but already I have completed two batches. In another week I will have a SCOBY to share as well so if you live near me and would like to start making your own kombucha let me know.

It is really tasty, and here in the picture you can see my completed batch, ready to go into the refrigerator. And the SCOBY in the jar. What you can't see is the hot tea sitting on my stove. I am going to let that cool for about 12 hours then add it to the glass jar with the SCOBY and let it take off.
The hard part to making Kombucha seems to be acquiring the SCOBY. It was hard for me because you need to trust the source. I was afraid of growing something "other" than Kombucha in my jar. But otherwise you just make up a batch of tea (I use organic green tea), let it cool, set the SCOBY on top, cover it with a clean cloth and let it go. Also make sure everything you use is clean. It does need a dark warm place to sit, mine is on the top of my refrigerator, but in about a week you will have nice Kombucha.


YUMMMM!!!!

2 comments:

Flor said...

Hi

Pam kambucha shouldn't be kept in plastic, is your jar plastic? it will leach...or so they say.

My scobi just died and went to my compost, those lucky worms!

Pam Genant said...

Yes it is plastic but it was only a temporary container while I looked for something else. It took a bit of practice for me to start a new batch without using 15 containers in the process, :-)