Additional Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Rhubarb Crisp

OK I have had several people ask me for my crisp recipe, I made some for a friend's birthday yesterday and I tried to be really conscious of what I put in there. So hopefully I can give some guidance. There really is no "recipe" that I use, but here it goes:

Yesterday I made a big dish of it so I think I used:

About 6 to 8 cups of chopped rhubarb, I added a couple of sliced, peeled apples to the mix for a little different flavor, but it is equally delicious with just rhubarb.

I then added, to the rhubarb, probably 3/4 to 1 cup of granulated sugar, 2 to 3 Tbsp flour, 1-1/2 tsp vanilla, a pinch of nutmeg (you can leave out the nutmeg, I just happen to love nutmeg...or you could add whatever spices you like) 1 tsp cinnamon. Mix it all up and put into a large casserole dish.

Topping: About 1/2 to 3/4 cup earth balance (you can also use butter if you like), 3/4 cup flour and 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar. Cut the earth balance (butter) into the sugar and flour until you have a crumbly texture, then add about 1 cup oatmeal and just mix it up and sprinkle if over the top of the rhubarb.

Cook for about 45 min to 1 hour at 350 degrees, until it is bubbly.

Of course adjust to your taste. ;-) YUM!!

1 comment:

MangoChild said...

Okay, this is going to be my "reward baking project" tonight when I'm done with work... last night I made a big batch of stewed rhubarb (basically rhubarb cooked with honey and a bit of applesauce) and have it in a container in my fridge waiting for me to think of something to do with it. So tonight... it will become crisp!
(I love nutmeg too :-) )