Additional Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

Rice Pudding

I have not had rice pudding since I was a child. My mom used to make it once in a while, not often though. I hadn't tried it myself because, as I remember, there was a ton of dairy in it, and since I now have issues with dairy, I thought it best if I avoid rice pudding.

I did become inspired by food network a bit ago though, the rice pudding they were making looked so delicious. Can't even remember who the host was. So I decided to venture out of my comfort zone of recipes, and try to adapt one to fit a dairy free diet. In this picture you can see the rice pudding next to a blueberry cobbler I made from our own fresh blueberries, that was delicious too, or so I am told. I didn't get any. Will have to make another one soon!

1-1/2 cups cooked rice
1-1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture becomes thick and creamy
add
1/2 cup milk
1 beaten egg
raisins
stir constantly for 2 minutes
remove from heat and stir in
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
serve warm

I double the recipe with some exceptions and this is my adapted recipe:

3 cups cooked rice
2 cups vanilla silk
1/2 cup sugar
(I put 1 tsp salt in the water when I cooked the rice up prior to making the rice pudding. So I omitted the salt in the pudding recipe)
Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until the mixture becomes thick and creamy, 10-15 minutes.

Add:
1 cup craisins
2 eggs beaten into 1 cup vanilla silk
Cook 2 minutes stirring constantly
Remove from heat, and stir in:
2 Tbsp Earth Balance
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla

Serve warm. YUM!!!

No comments: