Additional Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Crackers

I have been making my own crackers lately. It is easier to control dairy, if I make my own foods. And I never knew how easy it was to make crackers. I have made a couple of batches every day, and usually they are gone before I can snap a picture, this time I made sure to get a picture in before the boys ate them all. :-)

Really easy recipe:
1 1/4 cup flour (any kind or mixture of flour, whole wheat, white, rye, etc)
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp water
1 heaping tsp herbs if you would like (I have used dill and pepper and love them both)

Blend it all up in a food processor adding more water 1 tbsp at a time just until the mixture forms a ball. Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper until about 1/8 inch thick. Use a pizza cutter to cut the rolled dough into pieces and slide the parchment paper with the dough on top, onto a cookie sheet and back for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. Bake until the tops are a little brown. Slide the parchment paper onto a cooling rack and let the crackers cool...enjoy. YUMMM.

If you don't want to use parchment you can use flour so the dough doesn't stick. I did this first but found the crackers came out with a dusting of flour, and for me the parchment worked better. I can't wait to try rosemary, and sun dried tomatoes in my crackers.

3 comments:

Wenwe said...

Waiting for my rye/whole wheat crackers with herbs de'provance to come out of the oven. Hope I can wait until they cool down to eat them!

MangoChild said...

I made crackers for the first time last winter, and this year I'd like to play around with different flours (since I can't eat gluten now). Do you have any thoughts on how that might work? As you said, it's especially useful since making them at home means that we can control the ingredients.

Pam Genant said...

I haven't tried it yet, but I want to try rice flour of some sort. I would bet you could use almost anything. You aren't using the flour to get a rise like in bread, or to be "sticky". All it does it hold everything together and then basically "dry out" in the oven to be crisp. Do let me know how it goes though. I want to try to make a version of a sesame rice cracker. Thought maybe a touch of sesame oil and sesame seeds along with the rice flour would taste great. I will have to try that next. :-)