Additional Pages

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Chicken and non Chicken Soft Tacos

I had a menu planned out for the week but a high school friend posted a link to a recipe for soft tacos. Not a difficult recipe, but the picture looked so delicious I decided to abandon my plans and make soft tacos. It had been a while since I had made home made tortillas, I knew the boys would love it. The recipe for the tortillas is easy:

4 cups flour
2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp shortening, I use the spectrum organic vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups warm water

Mix and use about 1/4 cup of the dough to roll out and form tortillas, use an non-greased frying pan on medium heat to cook, it only takes a minute or two on each side to be done, so watch your tortillas. Stack them in a towel and you can microwave them for a few seconds to heat back up when you want to use them.


I winged it with the spices, so I don't have a recipe for that, I did leave out the crushed red pepper flakes.

Topped with lettuce, sour cream, cheddar cheese, cooked onions and salsa. YUMMM!! I used organic chicken for Phillip (you can see his artwork on his hands in the picture...those are not cuts..LOL), and I used a chunked non Chicken for the rest of us.

2 comments:

MangoChild said...

Yum. I can't eat gluten breads anymore, but I know my family will love them. The best part about tacos in my opinion is that they can be made into almost any taste desired, just by mixing up the fillings and the spices. Perfect for groups with different tastes.

Andrea (ace1028) said...

That looks realllllly good. Mmmn. Yum!