Additional Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Garden 2010

I am a little behind in posting pics of our garden this year, so I better get started. Things are growing so fast but let's start at the beginning. My Aunt was chatting with me on the phone a month or two ago about gardening. I mentioned how I wished I lived closer and I would come haul off her horse's nice manure for my garden. Just seems like here in the south the soil is so hard, clay, and depleted of nutrients. We have used different things to try to loosen up the soil, as well as amend it with organic ingredients. BUT a nice heaping of manure would really be useful.

Then it clicked in my head, I DO have a friend, that lives close and does have horses, so I contacted her and she was very happy to get rid of her composted manure. So Jackson and I hauled about 8 trailer loads of manure and mixed that into our garden this year. The soil is already looking darker and richer. Here is a pic after being tilled and one as we are starting to plant.

We do have another garden down in the field a bit. The plan is that after harvest this year we will lay down another layer of composted manure, and the leaves from fall, and see if we can amend this soil a bit.

No comments: