Additional Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Radishes

Jackson's birthday was a couple of weeks ago, and he loves radishes, so I decided to try a couple of new radish dishes, just for him. (none of the rest of us are that fond of radishes) with radishes from our garden. I made a radish salad, simple, shredded radishes, chopped cauliflower, cooked, diced potato, celery seed, S&P, a little dill, and mayo. It tasted heavy of radish, not my favorite.

But the dish that was fabulous was radish top soup. I read about using radish tops, the greens not the root, in a soup and adapted it to our dietary restrictions and it was so delicious. Who new you could eat radish tops, they are almost prickly when picked, but so nice and tasty in soup. I think you could make this soup with any green and believe I will be making it this weekend using collards that are ready to harvest fresh from our garden.

Recipe:
Dice up an onion and cook up in a little olive oil.

Add 3 diced potatoes, 3 large hand fulls of radish tops (just clean them you don't need to cut them up or anything) and about 4 cups of vegetable broth. Cover and simmer until everything is cooked and potatoes are mushy.

Now use a blender or I just used my immersion blender, and blend all of this up. Add more vegetable broth if you need it. Then add a can of coconut milk, S&P to taste, thyme and chopped parsley. Let it all heat up, you should have a nice creamy soup. And it is delicious. I did add a little shredded radish on top of the soup for garnish, without the shredded radish it does not really taste of radish at all.
You could substitute cream for the coconut milk and butter for the olive oil if you like.

1 comment:

Jamy said...

I am trying to figure out how to subscribe to your blog. Where's the subscribe button? LOL I'm going to be homeschooling my 11 year old next year and am SO nervous about it. I live in Guilford county and it's nice to know there are so many people in NC who are doing this too!