Additional Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lemon Layer Cake

Another recipe from the Usborne Card Collection, is this Lemon Layer Cake. This is something that Phillip and I made together, love those "working together" times. It was delicious, I only had a tiny slice as it does have gluten and dairy in it.

Here is the recipe:
Cake:
1 lemon (use juice and rind in the cake)
1- 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup and 2 Tbsp sugar

Lemon filling:
2 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 lemon
1/4 cup butter

Lemon icing:
1 lemon
1- 1/4 cups powdered sugar (I used more)

The recipe calls for 3 round layer cakes, I used 2 as that was all I had. No problems there, bake at 350 for 20 min or until done.

For the filling I used 1/2 the recipe since I only had the 2 layers. Use a double boiler add eggs sugar, lemon rind and the juice of the lemon, plus the butter cut into chunks. Stir the mixture until butter melts and the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes, (a lot quicker for us as we had 1/2 the recipe). Let it cool just a bit then spread 1/2 on top of one layer of cake, add the second layer of cake on top of that and spread the last 1/2 of the filling on top and add your last layer of cake.
For the icing use the rind and juice of the lemon (the recipe says juice from 1/2 the lemon but when we mixed all the icing up there wasn't much...so we used the whole lemon and even added about 2 Tbsp of lemon juice from the bottle I had in the fridge). Add the powdered sugar and stir. I used more powdered sugar than the recipe called for. I just found that the icing the recipe made was not enough to cover the cake and drip down the sides, so I think I about doubled the recipe to make enough, but I didn't measure the powdered sugar, I just added until it was the consistency I wanted.

The cake was delicious but the boys wanted me to mention that the cake itself does not have a "strong" lemon flavor, only slight. The filling and icing DO, so that really makes up for it. Personally I think if the cake itself tasted more like lemon it would be overpowering.

1 comment:

TheGowanGirls said...

If you use the Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Yellow Cake mix, and add lemon zest and lemon juice, you can make this same cake and eat it, too!

Hannah and I make it all the time. Just gets better and better....