Additional Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Jerusalem Artichokes

I think it was two or three years ago that we planted just three Jerusalem Artichoke roots in a a bed in the yard.  Three small roots at that, didn't know if any of them would grow at all.  This was after a friend and I split a crate of Jerusalem Artichokes and I really enjoyed the flavor.  So Jackson and I decided to try planting our own.  I mean the worst thing that could happen is they didn't grow right?!

Well they have taken off.  We have left them alone for all this time so the bed can establish, now we have approximately a 6 foot by 10 foot bed. 

These are beautiful in summer with bright yellow blossoms, looks like a bed of small sunflowers.  But with all my garden vegetables now coming out of the freezer, I was craving something fresh from the garden, and eager to get my hands in the soil.  Our mild winters are perfect for that.  So Jackson and I headed out to the Jerusalem Artichoke bed and dug some up.  Here is a picture of them fresh out of the garden.

The skins on these goodies are so thin that I just washed them off and sliced them up.  Added them to an oven safe dish with a little plain soy milk, about 6 ounces of goat cheese crumbled, a little salt and pepper.  Mixed it all up and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes until tender. 

They have the texture of potatoes, but a sweeter flavor (although I have read that these are sweeter in the winter so they might be less so in summer...more like a potato), and much thinner skin.  It was delicious. 

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sounds scrumptious! Bringing any to FLT? : )