Additional Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pasta~Pea Salad

My shelling peas are ready for harvest.  This is the first year, since moving to NC, that I have been able to grow peas.  I planted mid-February, and now the shelling peas are ready for harvest.  My first bunch yesterday, and, in total, I had about 2 cups of peas.  I WANT MORE!  I love peas.  I want enough to eat now and freeze for later.  I do have about the same amount left on the plants, they need to fill out more.  But the heat will take them first.  My plants are starting to die in the heat.  I think next year I may add a hoop frame over the peas and plant more shelling peas.  Maybe the hoop frame will help them germinate and grow earlier, we will see.  But now that I know I can grow peas here with some amount of success, I am going to work at it.  LOL.  My mission MORE PEAS.

So with yesterday's harvest, I made a nice pasta and pea salad.  I started with a recipe online, but with all the changes, I only kept three ingredients, the peas, balsamic vinegar and mayo.  I kind of morphed that recipe into something I knew my family would love, and they did!!  So here it is:

Ingredients~
2 cups fresh peas
3 cups cooked rice pasta
1/4 cup diced chives
1 package fake chicken chunks (or real 2-3 cups chicken if you eat meat)
3/4 cup mayo
fresh ground pepper to taste
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Fresh lettuce
1/2 cup goat cheese crumbled

For me the lettuce, peas and chives all came straight out of the garden. 
boil the peas for just a couple of minutes, so they are still nice and crunchy, then run under cold water to cool.  Thaw the fake chicken.  Add all ingredients to a bowl and toss.  Let sit in the refrigerator for an hour or so, taste so much better if the flavors have a chance to get to know each other. 

It was such a nice lunch for a HOT day, nice and cool.  And everyone loved it so I will definitely be making it again.  Not sure the goat cheese added anything so will probably leave that out next time.  Also might add some chopped basil, that would be a nice flavor. 

No comments: