Additional Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Beet Risotto

I know it doesn't look real appealing in the photo, but it is DELICIOUS!  This was another side dish for our father's day meal last Friday.  If you like beets you will LOVE this dish it is so creamy and good, and really simple to make  YUM!

1 onion

2 large beets
1 cup rice
4 cups vegetable broth
Olive Oil
S&P to taste
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese

 I can't remember where I saw the original recipe, but I morphed that into something I thought my family would enjoy!

Add a couple of TBSP olive oil to the bottom of a stock pot on medium heat. Dice the onion and add to the O Oil. You are just going to cook the onion to soften and add that nice cooked onion flavor (plus it makes my whole house smell delicious). While the onion is cooking, peel the beets if they need it, if the skin is not tough you could leave the skins on the beets. Then quarter the beets and add them to a food processor. "pulse" until the beets are all chopped up pretty fine, but not a paste. (there were a couple of larger chunks left in mine, I just tossed those into the compost bin) Add the vegetable broth and beets to the pot with the cooked onion and let that simmer, covered, for 12 minutes. (LOL actually that doesn't have to be exact but I was cooking the frittata in the oven and the timer had 12 minutes left so that is how long I cooked the beets).

Next you add the rice. I think I used a cup of an organic jasmine rice but you can use any rice you want just remember that if you use a brown rice it will need to cook longer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes (40-45 for brown rice) or until the rice is tender. S&P to taste. Next add in the goat cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and you have a nice creamy texture. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: