Additional Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

"Out of the Garden" Pasta Sauce

I had this idea this morning, that so much of what we have in the garden would be so nice as a "topper" of some sort.  So pasta was it.  I didn't want to cook the pasta in with the veggies in case the boys didn't want to try my veggie mixture, so I kept the spaghetti separate.  We had spaghetti and veggies, cucumbers and zucchini parmesan. 
I bought some delicious mozzarella cheese for the zucchini, the boys love that. 

For the spaghetti topper (since it isn't really a "sauce"):

One onion and one green pepper diced and cooked in about 3 TBSP Olive oil for just a few minutes.

Then I added:
2 cups fresh green beans, snapped into about 1 inch pieces
1 cups chopped collard greens
1/4 cup chopped basil
About a dozen cherry tomatoes, quartered, and one large beef steak type tomato chopped
S&P to taste
3 cups vegetable broth

I let that simmer for about 30 minutes until the greens and green beans were almost tender

Then I added about 3 cups of chopped red velvet okra, and let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes.  Add more vegetable broth if you need to, but I didn't want mine to be a sauce so I kept the broth to a minimum. You could also add tomato sauce if you wanted more of a spaghetti sauce. 

It was so good, all that veggie flavor.  And the okra really pulled the topper together. 

No comments: