Additional Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

BBQ Pulled Chicken/BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches

I wanted to try something new, and had been watching Food Network, so I decided to do BBQ type of sandwiches for supper a couple of nights ago.  Didn't know if the boys would like it, but they loved it!!  Let me give you my recipe for the filling here and I will post my roll recipe another day.

Here are pictures of the sandwiches:



For the first sandwich, I cooked a whole chicken in the slow cooker for 9 hours on low, I have the recipe for that here.  Once that was done I used my fingers and a couple of forks to shred the chicken and I put it into a smaller slow cooker with 1 1/2 cups of my BBQ sauce for another 2 hours on low.

For the second picture, when the chicken was almost all done I took a package of organic Tempeh, and cut it into small chunks, then stir fried it in about 3 TBSP Olive Oil, I added about 2 TBSP of oil to the pan to start the stir fry, but the tempeh does suck up the oil, so I added a little more about 1/2 way through.  I just kept turning the tempeh until it was golden brown.  Then I added about 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce, tossed it all together and it was finished and ready for sandwiches.

Here is my BBQ sauce recipe:
3/4 C diced onion
2 TBSP olive oil
1 C ketchup
1/2 C vegetable broth
1/2 C molasses
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1 TBSP lime juice
1 TBSP tamari sauce
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP mustard
1 TBSP thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
pinch of nutmeg
couple *shakes* of hot sauce

This is a mild sauce, if you like it hot you could add chopped jalapenos or more hot sauce.  In a sauce pot add onion and olive oil, stir fry the onion just a bit, then add all the other ingredients.  Let it come to a boil, stirring continuously.  Remove from heat and it is done!  Really easy.  Makes about 2 cups.  Be sure to read ingredients!  If you are eating gluten free, there is a gluten free Worcestershire sauce out there, use organic ingredients when you can.  If you have time, make your own ketchup.  I really wanted to make my own but didn't have the time that day.

No comments: