Additional Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Chicken Broth

I generally make chicken broth whenever I cook a whole chicken.  After I have cleaned all the meat off the bones I take that extra step to make the broth.  I use it when I make chicken soup, and you can use it in other recipes as well.  Here is my chicken broth recipe.

Two onions quartered
2 large carrots cut into chunks
2-3 celery spears cut into chunks
6-8 garlic cloves

Place the vegetables on a cookie sheet greased with a little olive oil, bake at 350 degrees for about 45 min-1 hour, until they are nice and brown.


Add vegetables and chicken bones to a 7 quart slow cooker, add enough water to bring the level to 5 quarts.  Cover and cook on low for 9 hours.  You should have a delicious smelling broth that is golden in color.  Strain out the bones and vegetables.  Skim the fat off the top, you can see it and what little is there is easy to skim off with a spoon.  Pour the liquid into quart canning jars (makes 3 quarts).  Process in a pressure canner 10 pounds of pressure for 35 minutes.

You can also freeze the broth in ice cube trays until frozen then pop them out into a zip lock baggie and store in your freezer, nice if you need just a little for a recipe, you can take out a cube or two and be all set.

No comments: