Additional Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fresh Chicken and an Okra Recipe

The garden is booming, and we have processed our broilers.  I haven't had much time to blog but have 10 minutes now before I get back to the garden, so I have a couple of recipes for you.


I know the plate looks a little "sloppy" but I snapped the picture right before my husband dug in.  The chicken in the picture was 24 hours old when we cooked it.  I am not a fan of chicken so I did not have any but Phillip and Jackson said it was delicious, moist and fall off the bones tender.  Here is what I did:

Chicken 
Bundle several rosemary, oregano, and thyme stems together and add them to the chicken cavity, along with about 5 garlic cloves.  Truss the legs together.  Rub the skin with Olive Oil and a bit of Organic Poultry Seasoning.

Once this is done I crunched up 4 pieces of aluminum foil and placed them in the bottom of my slow cooker.  Place the chicken on top of the aluminum foil, this elevates the chicken off the bottom of your slow cooker.  Cook on low for 9 hours.

Okra
4 cups okra
1 onion diced
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup pesto

cook the onion in the pesto until translucent, add okra and tomato sauce.  Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.  DELICIOUS!  This is my favorite okra recipe so far.

1 comment:

Dracula said...

I think I'll snag the okra recipe and use it for my mess of okra this week rather than fry it. Thanks! :)