Additional Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Master Tonic

Many of you have probably heard of master tonic but have you tried it?  A friend of mine (thanks Robin D.) introduced me to master tonic a couple of years ago.  She makes it and swears by it, drinks an ounce or so when she is feeling low on energy, or like she might be getting sick.  Her husband is a convert to the healing power of master tonic. I started out a skeptic.  And the *smell*...WOW, it smells HOT.  And, as everyone knows, I do not *do* hot.  Robin brought her master tonic to a gathering of friends once and offered to share.  But I "respectfully" declined, LOL.  My friends tried some.

It wasn't until last year that I made my own batch if you "click here" you can find the basic recipe.  But if you google Master Tonic you can find many, many recipes out there, all basically the same.  And the action is, at the most basic level, to increase circulation throughout the body, which in turn helps detox and heal.  OK you can find out all kinds of information if you google Master Tonic.

The recipe I used:

2 large white onions
2 large ginger roots
2 horseradish roots
About the same amount of garlic that "looked" like it was equal to how much onion I used (more than is in the picture)
A large handful of hot peppers from my garden, a couple of different varieties.
Cider vinegar

I cleaned the garlic and horseradish but did not peel just cut into quarters to fit in my food processor.  I did peel the onion and garlic.  I just snipped the tops off the peppers.

Then little by little I put it all into the food processor and emptied into a large bowl.  Once everything was chopped up, I mixed it in the bowl, making sure it was all well mixed up.  Then I filled quart canning jars about 3/4 full of the mixture and topped it off with the vinegar. I let it sit on top of my refrigerator for 3 or 4 weeks and just turn the jar to mix it every day or so. Once it has time to sit, strain using a cheese cloth and you will have liquid gold, spicy liquid gold.


I made a LARGE batch this time.  I still have some left from my last batch, so I will keep one quart for me, and give 4 away to friends.  We should be all set for the winter colds that seem to come along!


The picture above is the batch I made yesterday, it needs to sit for a while.  The picture below is from the batch I made last year, after it was strained.


I will say that after I made my first batch I did try it when I thought a cold was coming on.  The cold was short lived.  I took one ounce, 3-4 times a day.  I want to add that Jackson said he could smell the concoction coming out of my pores, LOL.  Oh Yeah! the smell of garlic, onion, horseradish, ginger and peppers all mixed together, I was certainly safe from vampires!

No comments: