Additional Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Slow Cooker Lentil Soup

This is a stand by recipe for our house.  Easy to put together in the slow cooker when we have a busy day ahead.  I totally love coming home to the house smelling so delicious and knowing that the meal is only minutes away.  About a year and a half ago I found that we were eating out more, and it was on days when we were out of the house.  I couldn't even wrap my brain around getting home at 6 or 7 in the evening, and cooking a meal, then having that meal ready in a reasonable amount of time.  So I turned to the slow cooker and that has just made such a difference.  I really enjoy feeding my family healthy meals that I know are good for them.

OK this is not a slow cooker advertisement this is a recipe for Lentil Soup:

1 pound of dry lentils
2 quarts vegetable broth
2 cups water
1-2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1-2 TBSP home made taco seasoning (depending how hot your taco seasoning is, and how hot you like your food)
1 onion
2 celery ribs
2 carrots
1 TBSP Olive Oil

Dice the onion and saute in the olive oil.  (this pre-cooking is not necessary but I love to brown up the onions just a bit before adding them to the slow cooker)  Dice the celery and carrots.  Add celery, carrot, onion S&P, taco seasoning, broth, water, and lentils to your slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6-7 hours.  Delicious!

Here is the taco seasoning recipe.  A friend (thanks Lisa) shared this with me several years ago, and I have been using it ever since.  It is Gluten free and Dairy free:

1/2 cup and 2 TBSP chili powder ( read the label to make sure there are no additives)
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 1/2 tsp onion powder
2 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I omit this)
2 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 TBSP and 2 tsp paprika
1/4 cup and 1 TBSP ground cumin
3 TBSP and 1 tsp sea salt
3 TBSP and 1 tsp black pepper


No comments: