Additional Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Slow Cooker Vegetable Broth

When we lived in Germany I made home made vegetable broth all the time, I never bought broth.  Not sure how I did it with a toddler and baby, but I did and I loved it.  I guess as the boys got older and we were out and about more, doing activities, going on hikes, etc, I just didn't have as much time to do those things.  I started buying organic vegetable broth.  It became easy.  But I am back to making my own now.  I had forgotten how lovely it is to smell the broth brewing all day, how much I love the flavor.  So here is my recipe:

Really I have no recipe, LOL.  I use whatever vegetables I have on hand, what looks good in the garden, the farmer's market or the grocery store.  I generally always start with onion, celery and carrot, I always have that on hand.  Yesterday I also added a turnip, a green and a red pepper, some garlic and mushrooms.


I chop everything up into large chunks.  With the garlic I use the whole head, in this batch I used two.  And I cut the head in 1/2 across the cloves, so that the cloves are all cut in half.  Hope that makes sense.  I oil a cake pan with some olive oil and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, until the veggies are a little brown and smelling delicious.  Dump all the veggies into a 7 quart slow cooker and add enough water to bring the level up to 5 quarts.  Cook on low for about 7-9 hours.  The whole house smells so delicious after this!  Strain out the veggies.  Pour the broth into clean, hot, quart canning jars and pressure can at 10 pounds of pressure for 35 minutes.  Makes 3 quarts.   I use my broth in so many things, soups, when I am cooking and need just a little liquid, instead of water I grab broth.  So handy to have already prepared.  You could also pour into ice cube trays.  Freeze, then put the broth cubes into a baggie to crab when you need them.


2 comments:

Carol Flett said...

sounds like a wonderful idea! I make chicken broth and beef broth but have never tried vegetable broth. Do you do anything with the cooked veggies?

Pam Genant said...

I compost my cooked veggies but if you took the skins off the garlic etc and cut the veggies up smaller you could add them to a soup. Or I think you could puree the cooked veggies up and add them to soups.