Additional Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Vegetarian Masa Slow Cooker Dish

This dish is an easy dish that my family loves, although this last time my oldest said it was a little too hot for his taste.  I toss it in the crock pot around noon and it is done by supper time.


1 onion diced
2 celery stalks diced
2 carrots diced
1 red bell pepper diced
2 TBSP olive oil
3 cups of chopped broccoli, I use stems and all
1 potato diced
2 cups crushed tomatoes
3 cups vegetable broth
2 TBSP garam malasa mix
1/8-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on your taste for heat
S&P to taste
3 cups cooked rice

Saute the onion and olive oil in a sauce pan (this step isn't essential but I like to brown up the onion just a bit before adding it to the Slow Cooker.  Add onion and all other ingredients, except rice, to the slow cooker, mix, cook for about 5-6 hours on low. Serve over rice.  I used just under 1/2 tsp of cayenne with this batch, husband loved it, youngest son said it was good but maybe just a little "hot", oldest son said it was too "hot" for him.  So next time I think I will use 1/4 tsp and let my husband add just a pinch more to his own plate.

I also like to substitute cauliflower for the broccoli, you could use any number of veggies.

No comments: