Additional Pages

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Turnip Side Dish

With this dish I was actually searching out turnip recipes.  I have turnips in the garden now and want to use them, but know they can be a challenge.  I do remember that much from my childhood.  My mother would cook them up and just add a little butter and some S&P, and I remember choking down that strong vegetable.

So I looked at a few recipes and decided to sort of follow the recipe on this page.  Although I did alter it a bit.  Here is my adaptation:

-about 3-3 1/2 cups of turnip, peeled and cut into bite size cubes
-2 carrots sliced
-water to just cover the turnip and carrots
-1 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid
-1 diced onion
-2 tbsp O Oil
-1/2 cup milk
-2 tbsp flour
-s&p to taste
-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Simmer the turnip and carrots in water for about 10-15 minutes until done.  Strain and reserve the liquid.  In a pan, add the O Oil and the diced onion, cook until the onion is translucent but not browned.  Add the flour, S&P and mix well.  Now add 1 1/2 cups of the hot reserved cooking liquid.  Mix this well, let it come to a boil and it will thicken.  Add the milk and stir.  Now pour the thickened mixture back over the turnips and carrots.  Add the shredded cheese and turn to mix everything.  Let it sit for just a few minutes for the cheese to melt and serve.

It was delicious, my dh really enjoyed this dish.  Phil liked it and Dallen did not.  I think for Dallen the taste of the turnip was just too much for him, it still has that bite to it, but not nearly as strong with the cheese mixture in there.

No comments: