Additional Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Fall Harvest Chowder



This is NOT my recipe, but I am copying it here in case the page disappears in the future.  This is so delicious.  I doubled the recipe, except the vegetable broth, I used 6 cups of broth total.  I also used 4 carrots, so more than doubled.   I also used 4 sweet potatoes since I had some from my garden!  And dh really enjoyed just a spoon of sour cream on top with some tortilla chips, and I used tortilla chips, and a little crumbled goat cheese in place of the sour cream.  The soup without the sour cream or goat cheese was just really sweet.  Too sweet for me.  But with my changes I LOVED IT!  You can find the recipe at THIS web site.  And here is the youtube video of the complete meal, including this dish.




1 ~ Fall Harvest Chowder*
Serves 8
6 cups vegetable broth or water
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 small zucchini, diced
1 (16-oz.) package frozen corn
2 small garnet yams, peeled and diced
4 bay leaves
2 tsp. dried thyme
4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1. Over medium-high heat, sauté onion, carrot, and celery in [1/2] cup vegetable broth until slightly browned, approximately 5-10 minutes.
2. Add remaining vegetables, broth or water, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30-40 minutes.
3. Remove bay leaves from soup and blend with immersion blender until mostly pureed. Add spinach leaves and turn off heat. Serve hot.
*Original recipe by Julieanna Hever, MS, RD, CPT

No comments: