Additional Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce

This is a wonderful vegan spaghetti sauce that I have been making since we lived in Germany, years ago.  LOVE IT!  So rich, and thick and delicious.  But it does have to cook for a few hours, so I only make it once or twice a year.  I think the next time I make it, I will make a double batch so I will have some left to can.  Jackson and I really enjoy it, the boys not so much, they like a plain (can't see the vegetables) sauce.


Recipe:
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1 Large Onion
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Green Bell Pepper
4 Cloves Garlic minced
1 Carrot diced
1 Turnip peeled and cut into small chunks
2 Cups Mushrooms Sliced (I usually pick up a box of whatever mushrooms look good at the grocery store)
2 tsp Dried Basil
2 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Dried Thyme
S&P to taste
6 Cups tomato sauce (I use my own canned tomatoes)  You could also use 6 cups of diced canned tomatoes                    instead of sauce
1 Cup nice red wine
2 TBSP miso
1 tsp tamari
3 TBSP dried parsley

Cook up the onion in a pan with the Olive Oil until onion is slightly browned.  Add the onion and all the other ingredients to a large stock put and let it simmer for at least 3 hours.  Stir occasionally, you will know it is done when it is the right thickness for you. Some like a thinner sauce, I like mine nice and thick, so it simmers for around 5 hours.

No comments: