Additional Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Turnip Cabbage Soup and Cabbage Rolls

This soup was made from things I had on hand and from my garden.  I do still have a few things hanging on in the garden.  :-)  It was delicious, not a spicy soup, but a warm comfort soup.


-1 turnip chopped
-1/2 a head of cabbage chopped
-1 onion diced
-2 celery ribs diced
-2 carrots shredded
-2 TBSP pesto
-3 cups cooked Garbanzo beans
-3 potatoes diced
-4 cups vegetable broth
S&P to taste

Add turnip, cabbage, onion, celery, carrot and vegetable broth to a stock pot.  Bring to a boil, then turn the heat back and let it simmer, covered, about 30 min, until the turnip and cabbage are knife tender (they take the longest to cook).  Next add the pesto, garbanzo beans, potatoes and let that simmer, covered, another 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are knife tender.  Add S&P and it is ready to eat!  

I served the soup with stuffed cabbage leaves.  This is from a book I just bought, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Gluten-Free Vegan Cooking.  I am really enjoying this book.  Have read through many Gluten-Free cook books but with so many meat recipes, I might find 1 or 2 recipes to try.  And I have also looked through a few plant based diet books, which are great, and pretty much stay away from gluten as well.  But those books tend to have really simple recipes.  Don't get me wrong, those are good in a pinch, but with only 4 ingredients I can imagine how it is going to taste, and quite frankly, so many of those recipes are bland.  But this book is full of easy, and not so easy recipes.  So many flavors and textures, I can't wait to try more recipes.  

OK so the Cabbage Rolls are on page 196 of that book!  A reminder to myself of where to find it when I want to cook it again. 

No comments: