Additional Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Collard Wraps

During our trip to San Antonio, we had the experience of eating at Green, a vegetarian restaurant.  YES, in the middle of cattle country ;-).  The food was so fresh and delicious we ate there three times while we were on vacation.  One dish I had was a collard wrap, and since our vacation I have been making my own collard wraps.  Here is MY recipe:

3 large collard leaves
shredded cabbage
shredded carrot
cashew spread
miso dressing
dried cranberries

(really any vegetable you would want in a wrap would work, I think sprouts would be nice!)

1.  Lay out two collard leaves, vertical,  side by side, with the tops away from you and the sides overlapping.

2.  Horizontally at the top of the collards lay our your toppings.  I start with the cashew spread, then layer on my cabbage and carrot, top with a little miso dressing and dried cranberries.  

3.  Lay the last collard leaf, horizontally over your toppings, this helps to hold everything together.

4.  Roll your wrap down, starting at the top and folding in the sides just a little, just like you would for a tortilla wrap.

ENJOY!!

Cashew spread:
2 cups raw cashews
2 TBSP lemon juice
3 cloves garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground back pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 water

Place all the ingredients into a food processor and process until it is a nice spreadable consistency, you may need a little more or less water depending on how thick you like it.  

Miso dressing:
I made this with the specific idea of the wraps in mind, but once I tasted it I am using it for everything now, delicious!

The recipe comes from the Vegan Yum Yum book I purchased not long ago, I did make some adaptations, here is my recipe:

1 heaping TBSP miso (pick your favorite)
1 tsp mustard (again your choice, all I had on hand was yellow mustard but a nice dark spicy mustard would be great)
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
pepper to taste, I used about 1/2 tsp
peanut oil

Add all, except the peanut oil, to a cup or jar.  I used my immersion blender (but you could use a whisk) to blend while I added peanut oil, use a good quality, organic oil.  You could use other oil, but I liked the taste of the peanut oil.  I probably added about 1/4 cup of oil, but just blend and slowly add the oil at the same time until it is the consistency you like.  

No comments: