Additional Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Chickweed-Onion Bread

I have chickweed everywhere in my yard!  Just so much of it right now, and I don't want it to die before I have a chance to eat some.  So I made chickweed onion bread.  DELICIOUS!  I did have a piece, even though I paid for it later (because of the gluten), it smelled too good to pass up.  The boys all loved it as well and Phil said I should make lots more.

Chickweed is just so good for you, so many vitamins and minerals, with a mild taste, somewhat like spinach.  Dried it can be used for so many things and as a poultice as well, great for skin conditions, and rashes.  Good to drink a chickweed tea when you have a cold.  You can google chickweed and just see what it is great for.  I use chickweed oil for poison ivy to control the itching.  Anyway back to my bread.


I found a recipe for chickweed in an onion bread, but the bread recipe had milk in it and was not "my" bread recipe so I just used my own bread recipe and added the chickweed and onion.

2 cups chopped chickweed
1 onion diced up very small (my boys don't like to chomp on onion, they like the flavor but prefer to not know         it is there...LOL)
1 3/4 cups warm water
1 tsp salt
3 TBSP Olive Oil
2 TBSP Honey
1 TBSP yeast
4-1/2 to 5 cups flour

In a saute pan add 1 TBSP olive oil a fry the onions just 2 minutes.  Next add 1/4 cup water, the chickweed and turn your heat back to med, cover, and let your onion and chickweed steam for another 3-4 minutes.  Set this aside to cool.  While the chickweed and onion are cooling add to a bowl (I use my kitchen aid mixer for this) 1 1/2 cups warm water, 2 TBSP Olive Oil, yeast, honey, salt and let it sit for just about 30 seconds, you will see the yeast start to bubble.  Now add in your onion and chickweed as well as your flour, start with adding about 4 cups of flour, then slowly add more as you need it.  You will know you have enough when the dough pulls away from the bowl.  With my kitchen aid mixer I let it beat for a minute or two.  If you are doing this by hand you will knead the dough for about 5 minutes on a floured bread board.  This will make two loaves if you are using loaf pans.  So divide your dough, form into your loaf pan.  Let it rise in a nice warm place, bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  I did not use loaf pans but instead formed it into a nice round loaf and let it rise on a cookie sheet.  This I baked at 350 degrees and it takes 35-40 minutes to cook.

The chickweed was about 4 cups before I chopped it.  All chopped up it was about 2 cups.  Here is what it looks like:

And I use this site for identifying plants, you can use it to identify chickweed in your own yard:  Eat the Weeds.  I just noticed on his site he also has a recipe for chickweed bread that is almost like mine, except he makes a smaller loaf.  So use his recipe if you are looking for just one loaf.  Chickweed must be a popular bread addition, who knew!

No comments: