Additional Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Fruit and Nut Bars

These are similar to a commercial brand.  I was tired of paying $1 a bar, on sale, for Lara Bars, so I decided to make my own.  I mean the bars only have a few ingredients so I figured "how hard can it be".  And it was so easy, PLUS my boys are loving them.  The ones in the picture are apricot but you can use ANY dried fruit~really.  I also substitute the apricot with dried tart cherries, and dried apple.  My boys love the tart cherry bars the best.

-1 cup raw organic almonds
-1 cup dried apricots
-1 cup dried dates
-2 TBSP coconut spread

I do want to say that the coconut spread I just ran across and Amazing Savings is just that, organic coconut (oil, pulp and all) pureed.  That is the only ingredient organic coconut.  And we are really enjoying the flavor it adds to the bars.  If you don't have the coconut I would probably use a little less almond or add more of the dried dates.

Just add all ingredients to a food processor and let it run on high for a couple of minutes.  Line a pan, I use a small rectangular pan, with parchment paper.  Put the mixture from the food processor into the lined pan and press.  Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.  You can then lift the paper right out of the pan and cut the cooled mixture into bars or squares.



I put them into a covered dish and leave them in the refrigerator.  They rarely last more than a day.  I want to experiment with different nuts, but my boys want the almonds so I haven't had time.  I also think shredded coconut or sesame seeds would be tasty.  

1 comment:

redheads said...

yum - I just put some cran-blueberry-date-coconut-almond bars in the fridge. Can't wait to yum them up!