Additional Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tomato Pie

Last year a friend posted that she had made a wonderful tomato pie.  OK that did not compute, I had never heard of a tomato pie and initially the thought just made my stomach turn, aren't pies supposed to be sweet.  The more I thought about it the more it sounded like something I needed to try. I decided to use a traditional pie crust but sometime I am going to try using a gluten free pizza crust mix and patting that into a pie plate and precooking it. I think that would work wonderfully. But since I do know how to make a good pie crust I decided to go with the tried and true.  I did altar the recipe to make it free of cow dairy.  Cow dairy and I just don't agree.  So this is my tomato pie.  Followed by the recipe.



Ingredients:
~one 9 inch pie crust, pre cooked
~2 large ripe tomatoes
~1 large onion chopped
~3 cloves of garlic crushed
~3/4 cups mayo
~1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
~1/3 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
~handful of fresh basil, chopped
~1 TBSP fresh chopped oregano
~Thinly sliced manchego cheese
~S&P
~Olive Oil

Slice tomatoes about 1-1/2 inches thick, place on a cutting board over the sink and salt them just a little, let sit while you prepare everything else, this helps to get some of the moisture out of the tomatoes. 

In a skillet add just a couple TBSP olive oil, the onion, garlic, basil, and oregano.  Cook on med heat until the onion is soft and cooked, slight browned.  

In a bowl combine the mayo, goat cheese and pecorino romano cheese, and mix well. 

To assemble, take your cooked pie crust, line the bottom with the sliced manchego cheese.  Now spread the cooked onion mixture on top of the manchego cheese.  Third layer is the tomatoes, squeeze in as many as you can in one layer.  Top layer is the mayo mixture, spread it around on top.  Sprinkle just a little pepper on top and cook in a 375 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.  It will be just starting to brown on top.  Let it sit for 15 minutes, then cut and enjoy.  This will make your house smell so delicious and it tastes heavenly!  SO RICH!


No comments: