Additional Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Black Bean Soup

I am trying hard to remember how I made this soup because it was such a hit.  I had friends over last week and needed something quick that would feed lots (which to me means soup...LOL)  and is gluten free and dairy free.  So I made a black bean soup that everyone enjoyed and both of my boys loved, which is unusual.


Ingredients:
2 quarts veg broth
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
3-14 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1-16 oz jar salsa
1 1/2 tsp cumin
S&P to taste

ON THE SIDE:
chopped cilantro
sour cream
cheddar cheese
avocado


I added the chopped onion and bell pepper to my sauce pot with just 1/4 cup of veg broth and let that simmer for a few minutes.  Then I added everything else to the soup, brought it up to a boil for a minute or two then backed it down to low to keep it warm.  You could add a jalapeno if you like it spicier.  Also can add any level hotness of salsa you like.  I kept it mild as one of my sons, and I, do not like it spicy.  I put the side items out for people to choose, so that the soup could be tailored to the individual, as I did this for a group.  But can I say it was so delicious with chopped avocado!!!  So don't leave that out, but add it to the bowl at the last minute so it stays nice and green.

This could also be done in a slow cooker, and you could add ground beef or chicken if you like, I would add the soup contents and meat and slow cook it on low for 8 hours (4 or 5 if you don't use meat).  If you put in boneless, skinless chicken breast you would just need to take it out and cut or shred it, then add it back to the slow cooker to serve.

Very easy, very delicious and serves a lot!

No comments: