Additional Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Minestrone Soup

This is a recipe that I thought was already on my blog but I am not seeing it.  I make it at least a few times a year and with the boys feeling under the weather this week, this was a request.  We all enjoy minestrone soup and it is an easy one for mom to whip up as well, so a win-win all around.



-1 diced onion
-2 diced carrots
-2 diced celery spears
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1/2 chopped cabbage
-1 quart vegetable broth
-1 pint tomato sauce
-2 cans kidney beans
-1 can garbanzo beans
-2 diced zucchini
-1 tbsp dried basil
-2 tsp dried oregano
-S&P to taste
-1/2 cup little pasta

Add onion, carrot, celery, and olive oil to soup pot on medium heat, let the veggies cook for just a few minutes until the onions are starting to brown.  Next add cabbage, broth, tomato sauce, basil, and oregano to the pot.  Bring it to a boil, then cover and turn the heat back to low and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.  Now add beans, pasta and zucchini, cover again and let it simmer another 15 minutes.  Lastly add your salt and pepper.  I add the zucchini last as I don't like mushy zucchini.  Also I generally do not add pasta but Phillip wanted pasta in it tonight.  So if you leave the pasta out or add a gf pasta, it is gluten free.  I like crushed tomatoes in this as well, but my boys don't like the texture of tomatoes in soups, so I use tomato sauce for them.  The taste is delicious either way.  You could also have some Parmesan cheese on the side for those that wanted a little cheese on top, that would be yummy too.


No comments: