Additional Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Autumn Vegetable Stew

This, Autumn Vegetable Stew, is a recipe from the Forks Over Knives collection.  I made just a couple of changes.  Jackson, Dallen and I all loved this spicy recipe.  Phillip was not a fan, in fact when I asked him, he said "I could choke it down if I had to", so there you have the reviews.  I will definitely be making this again, but will make sure there are other things in the house that Phil likes as well.  Please visit the FOK web site, they have lots of great recipes.  I am looking to expand my gf vegan recipes so am trying out some from that site.   Here is the recipe with my couple of changes:



INGREDIENTS:
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1/2 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
Two 1-inch pieces cinnamon stick
8 cups Vegetable Stock, or low-sodium vegetable broth
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into ¾ -inch pieces
1 turnip, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
One 15-ounce can tomato sauce (chopped tomatoes would be nice as well, but my oldest prefers the sauce)
One 15-ounce can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
2 large pinches of saffron
1 teaspoon of dried peppermint
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 russet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
½ cup finely chopped cilantro

Add all ingredients except potato and cilantro to a large stock pot.  Bring to a boil and turn heat back to low and simmer about 20 minutes.  Add the potato and simmer until the turnip, squash and potato are all knife tender.  Then I took a potato masher and just mashed the soup up a bit to make it more of a thick stew, but left lots of chunks.  Serve cilantro on the side for topping.

Jackson added a little hot sauce to his bowl, I added a tbsp of GF, vegan sour cream, and Dallen ate it as is.


No comments: