Additional Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Italian White Bean Soup

I found this recipe on the Forks Over Knives web site.  Everyone enjoyed this except Phillip, my youngest. He "liked it" but it was not his favorite.  I had the leftovers the next day for lunch and I will say it is even better the second day, YUM!  I did make some modifications but you can find the original recipe HERE.



Ingredients:
1/2 pound dried Great Northern Beans, soaked and precooked (you could use 2 cans instead)
2 quarts vegetable broth
4 cloves garlic minced
1 red onion diced
2 celery stalks diced
1 fennel bulb diced
1 zucchini diced
1 large bunch of spinach chopped
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried sage
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon tamari
juice of 1 fresh lemon
S&P to taste

I added everything except the spinach, beans and zucchini to a large soup pot and let it simmer until the fennel was knife tender.  Lastly I added the precooked beans, zucchini and spinach to the pot and let it simmer for another 5 minutes (maybe a little less) until the spinach was wilted and the zucchini was tender but not too soft (I hate squishy zucchini).

Enjoy!

PS... if you like the bowl the soup is in, I bought it at Mangum Pottery in Weaverville NC.  WONDERFUL shop...wonderful people!

No comments: