Additional Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Facebook and Antibiotic Use In Organic Apple Orchards

I generally do not look at all the "memory" things on facebook.  I feel like I made those posts years ago, and I can go back if I really want to and catch up.  And I never do go back and "catch up".  But today there was a nice memory of our dog Ellis, from 6 years ago.  Gosh I hadn't realized he was 6 years old.  So when looking at memories from today over the years, I also ran across this article link.  It talked about how oxytetracycline was being used in organic orchards to combat fire blight.  I was a bit appalled back in 2011 because that is something that I trust, the name organic.  Although I know it is slowly being watered down as years go by.  But I don't have time to look up every product I buy, especially all the produce.  I trust that when I buy organic produce it is not "sprayed" with chemicals.  This article talks about a 2 year extension on its use.  So I decided to look it up and see what happened at the end of the 2 years.

This was the article I found    And it states in part:  "04.11.13
Portland, Ore.—Today the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB) rejected a petition to extend the expiration date for the use of oxytetracycline to treat fire blight in apple and pear production beyond October 21, 2014. The decision is a victory for the organic standard and advances efforts to preserve the effectiveness of antibiotics."
A win in my book.  Glad I looked at those "memories" on facebook today.  Just in case you were wondering as well.

No comments: