Additional Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Needhams

I grew up eating Needhams.  I was talking about them this year just before Christmas, and my boys thought it sounded "gross" to have potato in a candy.  So I decided to make some.  Every recipe I found online was the same.  The Portland Press Herald has the recipe so I am linking it here.  But here is the recipe with my dietary tweaks.

3/4 cup hot mashed potatoes
1/2 cup Earth Balance, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (2-pound) bag confectioners sugar
2 cups firmly packed shredded coconut
12-ounce bag of chocolate chips (dairy free for me)

And here is my picture of the end product. I blended all ingredients except the chocolate, in my mixer, I did not heat it in a double boiler as the recipe suggests.  I also don't think I used quite as much confectioners sugar, I just kept adding until it was a nice and thick.  I just pressed the coconut mixture in a 9X13 pan and the poured the melted chocolate on top. (OK so maybe I changed the recipe just a bit) Refrigerate and then cut.  That seemed easier than dipping each one.  Delicious and just like I remember.


No comments: