Additional Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Squash Mac and Cheese

This is a recipe I have made several times over the last few weeks.  My boys prefer this to any regular mac and cheese.  I have made a couple small changes but otherwise cook as is.  I will post my changes but here is the original recipe so check it out.


    1 acorn squash 
    1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth 
    1 cups skim milk
    Pinch of nutmeg
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 pound whole wheat spirals 
    1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
    2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese

    I precook the squash earlier in the day.  I just pierce the skin with a knife in a few places and stick it in the oven for 30 minutes or so, or in the microwave for about 6 minutes.  To tell if it is done I just feel the skin, if it is soft the inside is done.  I let it cool then it is easy to just cut in half, discard the seeds and scoop out the flesh.  So when I am ready to make this I just combine the squash, veg broth, milk, seasonings and cheese in a bowl.  Wait for my pasta to cook, then drain and add the pasta to the mix.  Put it into a casserole dish and sprinkle with a little more parm cheese and bread crumbs and it is ready to go into the oven.  375 degrees for about 30 minutes.  EASY!

No comments: